News 1st April 2016

Maltese Police investigate U21 international for match-fixing

Maltese police are investigating an under-21 football international between Malta and Montenegro, which Montenegro won 1-0, for match-fixing. ‘The Malta Football Association [MFA] has been notified that an investigation is ongoing in relation to the qualifying match of group 1 of the UEFA U21 Championship between Malta and Montenegro on Wednesday 23 March’, read an MFA statement. ‘The Association is working closely with the authorities on the investigation, and at this stage, will not give any comments’.

A 21-year old appeared in court on Wednesday charged in connection to the match, reported the Times of Malta. The newspaper said that Seyble Zammit, who pleaded not guilty, is the son of a former national team player. Prosecutors said that the police had received information from the MFA that the U21 games against Montenegro and the Czech Republic on 29 March may have been subject to match-fixing.

In May last year, the MFA confirmed that officials from both clubs involved in a play-off game had contacted it with concerns that the match may have been fixed. In December last year, Federbet said that it would take the MFA to court after it claimed that evidence the anti-match-fixing organisation gave to the European Parliament was driven by commercial interests.

You may also like...

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This