Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Flanders national anti-doping agency (NADO DopingLijn) has published its doping control figures for the second quarter of 2015. To access the testing statistics for the second quarter, click here. To access the totals for the year, click here. The Flanders NADO is one of three anti-doping agencies in Belgium. The others are the Brussels Joint Communities Commission and the French Community of Belgium NADO.
• The Belgian Cycling Federation (KBWB/RLVB) has confirmed that it is dropping its investigation of under-23 cyclocross champion Laurens Sweek (pictured) for alleged doping. ‘The RLVB received the relevant file from the Flanders NADO on Laurens Sweeck on 22 July’, read a 4 August statement. ‘After a thorough study of the case file and the relative jurisdiction, the federal prosecutor decided to close the case due to lack of sufficient evidence’.
• Argentine sports marketing executive Alejandro Burzaco has pleaded not-guilty to charges of corruption and has posted a US$20 million bond for his release, reports the AFP. Burzaco was the controlling Principal of Torneos y Competencias S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina. The US Department of Justice (DoJ) indictment alleged that Burzaco and Hugo and Mariano Jinkis had entered into a contract with Brazilian businessman José Hawilla’s Traffic Group to secure the rights to CONMEBOL tournaments, which involved bribing FIFA, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL officials. AFP reports that Burzaco is next due in court on 18 September. You can read more about the charges against him by clicking here.
• ‘Dan’ Tan Seet Eng has failed in his appeal against his detention in Singapore, reports Inside World Football. Tan was arrested in Singapore in 2013 in relation to charges of match-fixing levied against him in Italy in 2011, and in Hungary in 2013. It is understood that Tan served as a Director of Exclusive Sports PTE Limited, a rebranding of Football 4 U, which was founded by convicted match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal. You can read more about how this company arranged games for bookmakers in this Sports Integrity Initiative article.
• World Rugby is seeking to appoint an Anti-Doping General Manager. Applications must be made by 12 August 2015. For more information, please click here.
The adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee has found Mr Sayed Aghazada, a former...