Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Patrick Hickey, former President of the European Olympic Committees (EOC) and of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), is amongst ten people charged by Brazilian prosecutors over allegations that Rio 2016 tickets earmarked for the OCI were sold at inflated prices, reports AP. Brazilian prosecutors are reportedly keen to speak to Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), in connection with their investigations.
• The President of Olympiakos, Evangelos Marinakis, has said that a prosecutor’s order for him to stand trail on charges of alleged involvement in a criminal match-fixing ring are part of a predetermined attack on the Greek club. ‘I am not surprised by the current proposal of Appeals Prosecutor Stamatis Daskalopoulos’, wrote Marinakis in a statement. ‘This is because the content was predetermined by the Chief Prosecutor Isidore Ntogiako in Athens, on the first day that they began the investigation into these offences, which is essentially directed against Olympiacos and my activity in the team’s progress.’
• New South Wales Police have opened an investigation into allegations of match-fixing in Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL). ‘Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Organised Crime Squad have launched Strike Force Nuralda to investigate the matters and determine if any criminal offences have been committed’, read a statement. ‘Police will work closely with the NSW Crime Commission, and have the full support of the NRL. The investigation is expected to be protracted, with dozens of players, officials, and members of the community expected to be interviewed in the coming months.’
• The opening ceremony of the ‘All-Russian public sport competition in sports included in the programme of the Paralympic Summer Games’ took place in Russia yesterday. “We regret that Russia is not taking part in the biggest festival of Paralympic sport”, said Russian Minister for Sport Vitaly Mutko in a statement. “But I’m sure it is a temporary problem and despite difficulties in the short term, we will return to the big Paralympic family”. Performances in the Russian competition are likely to be compared with performances in the Rio 2016 Paralympics which begins today. Russian para athletes cannot take part after the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) suspended the Russian Paralympic Committee.
• The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) has signed an agreement with FIFA’s Early Warning System (EWS), under which EWS will monitor games for signs of match-fixing. The agreement comes after El Salvador players claimed that they were offered money in order to influence the result of a 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against Canada, which CONCACAF is investigating, reports AP.
Dear IOC, ASOIF and WKF, Global Athlete would like to draw your immediate attention to...
• 3059 ITF ranked Chilean player found guilty of attempting to bribe a player and...