Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has confirmed that Andrei Rybakov, of Belarus, has returned an adverse analytical finding for meldonium. Rybakov took silver medals in the 85kg category at the Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 Olympics, and set a world record at the 2007 World Weightlifting Championships with a 187kg snatch. The Russian gymnastics federation confirmed (FSGR) confirmed that Nikolai Kuksenkov (pictured) had tested positive for meldonium. Kuksenkov tested positive on 15 March, five days before he took bronze at the Fédération Internationale Gymastique (FIG) World Cup on 20 March in Stuttgart. For a list of athletes suspended after testing positive for meldonium, click here.
• Lord Moynihan has launched an online petition to criminalise doping in the UK. Lord Moynihan was Chairman of the British Olympic Association (BOA) from 2005 until 2012. Germany was the latest country to criminalise doping and the UK government began entertaining the idea last year, as reported by the Sports Integrity Initiative.
• Cricketer Danish Kaneria has asked Pakistan’s government to help him overturn his life ban from cricket, reports Geo.tv. Kaneria was accused of being involved in a 2009 spot-fixing scandal and is facing a costs claim from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), after an ECB Appeal Panel dismissed his appeal against his life ban.
• Concussion was the most commonly reported match injury in professional English rugby union for the fourth consecutive season, reveals the 2014/15 Professional Rugby Injury Surveillance Project (PRISP), which monitors the injury risk of Premier Rugby players in English and European competition and training. Concussion amounted to approximately 17% of all match injuries, with 95% of all concussion occurred in games involving 110 reported cases from 70 Premiership Rugby, 23 European Competition and 17 National Cup matches played. To view the full survey, click here.
• Nippon Professional Baseball is offering limited suspensions to players or team staff that declare their involvement in betting on professional baseball by 25 April, reports Kyodo news agency.
Welsh Rugby Union player Jesse Patton has been suspended from all sport for a period...