Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• CONCACAF has filed a claim alleging that its former President Jeffrey Webb and Enrique Sanz received kickbacks for steering US$40 million in contracts for CONCACAF travel to Cartan Tours in three years, reports the New York Times. Cartan Tours is the company responsible for ticketing to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in 36 countries.
• UK shadow Sports Minister, Clive Efford, has written to International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) President Sebastian Coe asking him when he became aware that the IAAF was delaying announcing Russian doping positives, reports The Guardian. Nick Davies, Director of the IAAF President’s Office, resigned before Christmas after a leaked email was published in which he advised the IAAF to delay announcing Russian doping positives. “Mr Davies’s email suggests that other people at the IAAF would have to have been aware if such a complex strategy was to be implemented relating to Russian athletes who had tested positive”, Efford’s letter reportedly reads. “Can you state when you were first made aware of this situation?”
• Sage Clinic in Vancouver has suspended Brandon Spletzer, a naturopathic doctor who supplied an undercover athlete with performance-enhancing drugs in an Al Jazeera documentary, ‘The Dark Side: Secrets of the Sports Dopers’. Clinic owner, Arjuna Veeravagu, provided a statement to local media which said that staff were unaware of any wrongdoing, but pledged to “cooperate fully with the proper authorities’ investigation. Professional sports doping could not be any more contrary to the philosophy and vision of our clinic and of the profession of naturopathic medicine.”
• The second part of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Independent Commission (IC) report into allegations of systematic doping and corruption within international athletics will be released on 14 January, WADA told Reuters.
• Former Director General of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA), Ramil Khabriev, has said that 40% of Russian doping violations are in youth sports. “It’s alarming that around 40 percent of these violations are from youth sports”, Khabriev told R-Sport in an interview. RUSADA accepted the resignation of Khabriev on 10 December.
• FIFA Presidential candidate Prince Ali bin Al Hussein (pictured) called for the immediate publication of Michael Garcia’s full report into allegations of corruption during the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups at the 10th Dubai International Sports Conference, on 27 December. Garcia resigned last year after the FIFA Ethics Committee elected to publish a 42-page summary of his findings rather than his full report.
• The ‘direct cause’ of a bodybuilder’s death from liver cancer at the age of 39 was taking steroids, according to the ruling of a coroner reported by the Manchester Evening News.
Witold Bańka, President of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), has indicated that the agency may...
Investigators in the United Kingdom and the United States have found that computer hackers working...