Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Argentinean football association (AFA) has confirmed that Franco Jominy, who plays for Atlético de Rafaela, has been provisionally suspended after testing positive during a Primera División match on 30 August. ‘Proceedings will take place at the Sports Disciplinary Council where the AFA will present the case to the National Anti-Doping Commission, the Federal Ministry of Justice and the Drug Abuse Prevention authorities’, read an AFA statement.
• A former National Rugby League (NRL) player has told The Guardian that he took up to 50 tablets of valium per day whilst addicted to prescription drugs. The player told the newspaper that up to 50% of players in the NRL abuse prescription drugs.
• The President of the Spanish Sports Council (CSD) has spoken to the Spanish Basketball Association (FEB) about taking legal action against a blogger for French newspaper Le Monde, who wrote an article suggesting that Pau Gasol may have doped, reports Marca. Gasol (pictured) captained Spain to the Eurobasket title this summer, taking 40 points in one game and earning the title of Most Valuable Player at the age of 35.
• Ivan Basso has been given the all-clear following treatment for testicular cancer, his Tinkoff-Saxo team confirmed on Twitter. Basso admitted ‘attempted doping’ in 2007, and was sanctioned with a backdated ban, winning the Giro d’Italia in 2010 after returning to competition in 2008.
• Arkadiusz Kocyla, who was recently banned by the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) after being charged with attempting to fix matches, has denied ever having attempted to fix a game. The polish tennis player told Lastwordonsports.com that he had failed to report an approach to him to fix a game, but that he rejected that approach.
• The International Centre for Sport Security (ICSS) has renewed its partnership with the Indian Super League (ISL) soccer competition for 2015. In a statement, the ICSS said that a tailored sports betting monitoring system would be put in place to help identify suspicious betting patterns and manipulation of results.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is pleased to publish the final versions of the 2021 World...
On 4 June, the McLaren Independent Investigation Team (MIIT) delivered its Report (PDF below) detailing...