The trouble with Ostarine: Jimmy Wallhead’s
16th March 2018
• The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has sanctioned a 62-year-old Masters athlete for taking a testosterone supplement for erectile disfunction, fatigue and depression, which resulted in an adverse analytical finding (AAF). Greg Pizza only declared six multivitamin tablets on his doping control form at the USA Track & Field Masters Championships, but following his AAF he submitted a retroactive therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for the testosterone supplement. The arbitration panel accepted his claim that he was only taking the supplement for heath reasons, not to gain a competitive advantage, and he didn’t know that it would cause him to fail a doping test. His applicable ban was reduced from two years to 20 months.
• The Confederation of African Football (CAF) confirmed that FIFA has extended its two-year ban imposed on Gustavo Ndong Edu, Vice President of the Equatorial Guinea FA for attempting to bribe match officials involved with the African Women’s Cup of Nations qualifying game between Equatorial Guinea and Mali on 10 April. FIFA’s extension of the CAF’s ban will now mean that the CAF’s ban will have a worldwide effect.
• The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has dismissed an appeal from Italian race-walker Alex Schwazer, who sought an order lifting his suspension from international competition. Last month, the Italian athletics federation (FIDAL) provisionally suspended Schwazer – who had returned from a four-year ban – after he returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF).
• The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has enhanced its concussion management protocols. To view an outline of the new provisions, click here.
• A spokesperson for the Egyptian Olympic Committee (EOC) has told AFP that Ihab Abdelrahman, who took a javelin silver medal in the 2015 Beijing International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Championships, has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for testosterone. The news agency reported that the positive test dates from 17 April.
The adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee has ruled that the conduct of Franz...