Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has announced that a Joint Integrity Intelligence Unit (JIIU) will operate both before and during the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. During a National Integrity in Sport workshop held jointly with Interpol in Rio de Janeiro, the IOC said that the body would involve both representatives from the IOC and experts from the Rio 2016 Organising Committee, and would be supported by Brazil’s Department of Federal Police (DPF), the Secretariat of Security for Major Events (SESGE) and Interpol. It is to be responsible for ‘the prevention, monitoring and assessment of any unethical activity related to the Olympic Games’.
• Russian news outlet Match TV has named two of the eight Russian athletes who returned positive tests for banned substances following the re-testing of samples from the London 2012 Olympics. Olympic gold medalist hammer thrower Tatiana Beloborodova and the Olympic shot put silver medalist Evgeniia Kolodko are both reported to have failed doping tests on their A samples and await the results of new tests on their B samples. Kolodko is the wife of Canadian shot putter Dylan Armstrong, who won bronze at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Armstrong had to wait six years to receive his medal after the original bronze medalist, Belarusian Andrei Mikhnevich, had his results disqualified following an anti-doping rule violation.
• The President of the Indonesian Football Association (PSSI) has reportedly been ‘detained on charges of corruption’. According to Thai newspaper The Nation, La Nyalla Mattalitti fled Thailand in April after he was accused of embezzlement while Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce in the East Java Province. The PSSI was suspended by FIFA last year due to what FIFA labeled as the ‘take over’ of Indonesia’s national football governing body by the Indonesian authorities.
• Five-time Tour de France winner Eddy Merckx has been formally charged by Brussels prosecutors for corruption and using false documents, the Associated Press reports. He is reportedly one of 13 people being investigated about irregular purchases of equipment by Brussels-area municipalities. Yesterday it was reported hat Merkcx was accused of bribing the Commissioner of the Brussels-Midi police force in order to secure a contract to supply 46 bicycles from his former company to the police.
• For the first time it can be revealed in detail how much cash the...
Sport’s integrity bodies are appealing for the governing bodies of individual sports and bookmakers to...
Today, the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA’s) Executive Committee (ExCo) held its second meeting of the...