Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
Seven Russian weightlifters have been provisionally suspended by the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF), based on evidence from Richard McLaren’s two Reports into State doping in combination with samples retrieved from the Moscow Laboratory. Earlier this week, the IWF provisionally suspended five, meaning it has charged 13 Russian weightlifters based on McLaren’s evidence and samples retrieved from the Moscow Laboratory. In addition, the Russian weightlifting federation (ФТАР) has announced sanctions against two weightlifters and a coach.
The seven suspended by the IWF today are:
• Dmitry Lapikov (Дмитрий Лапиков), who was sanctioned in 2011 after testing positive for methylhexanamine, and was stripped of his Bronze medal at the Beijing 2008 Olympics in 2016, after retesting of samples revealed an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for oral turinabol (dehydrochlormethyltestosterone).
• Chingiz Mogushkov (Чингиз Могушков), who won a Silver medal in the 105kg category at the Tbilisi 2015 European Weightlifting Championships, who now appears to be selling ecdystorone (not featured on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) Prohibited List, and a 2006 Study was sceptical about any effect on athletic performance in humans);
• Adam Maligov (Aдам малигов), who won a Gold medal at the Split 2017 European Weightlifting Championships in the -94kg category and a Silver at the Tel Aviv 2014 European Weightlifting Championships. Maligov is currently wanted by Russian police for stealing food from a supermarket, reports State news agency TASS. ‘Value is always fleeting and mediocrity, on the contrary, is stable’, he posted on Instagram a month ago;
• Magomed Abuev (Магоме́д Абу́ев), who won Bronze in the 105kg category at the Kazan 2013 Winter Universiade, and was sanctioned with a four year ban in January this year for ‘repeated’ violations of anti-doping rules;
• Maksim Sheyko (Макси́м Шейко́), who won Silver in the 105kg category at the Antalya 2012 and Tirana 2013 European Weightlifting Championships;
• Nadezhda Evstyukhina (Надежда Евстюхина), who was stripped of her Bronze medal in the 75kg category at the Beijing 2008 Olympics after retests of samples by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2016 revealed an AAF for oral turinabol (dehydrochlormethyltestosterone).
• Julia Konovalova (Юлия Владимировна Коновалова), who won Silver in the 75kg category at the Antalya 2012 and Tel Aviv 2014 European Weightlifting Championships.
ФТАР announced that Aleksandra Samuylova (Александра Самуйлова) and her Coach, Viktor Samuylov (Виктора Самуйлова) have been sanctioned for doping offences. Statements from the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) revealed that Aleksandra has been sanctioned with an eight year ban for ‘repeated’ doping violations; and Viktor has been sanctioned with a four year ban for complicity. In addition, ФТАР announced that Diana Mstieva (Диана Мстиева), who won Gold in the 90kg category at the Split 2017 European Weightlifting Championships and Silver in the -87kg category at the Batumi 2019 European Weightlifting Championships, has been sanctioned with an eight year ban from 14 May 2019.
• Sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye of Trinidad & Tobago has been provisionally suspended after being charged...
Willie Rioli of West Coast Eagles has been provisionally suspended after a 20 August sample...
The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) announced today that Curtis Caron, a para-table...