The trouble with Ostarine: Jimmy Wallhead’s
16th March 2018
The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has provisionally suspended five Russians based on the evidence from Richard McLaren’s two reports into Russian State doping in combination with samples retrieved from the Moscow Laboratory. The five athletes are:
• David Bedzhanyan (Дави́д Беджаня́н), who won Golds in -105kg category at the 2012 and 2013 European Weightlifting Championships;
• Oleg Chen (Олег Чен), who won Golds at the -69kg category at the 2013 and 2014 European Weightlifting Championships;
• Ruslan Albegov (Руслан Албегов) who won Golds in the +105kg category at the 2013 and 2014 IWF World Championships, the 2013 and 2014 European Weightlifting Championships, the Kazan 2013 Summer Universiade, as well as a bronze at the London 2012 Olympics;
• Egor Klimonov (Егор Климонов), who has won Golds in the -96kg category at the Taipei 2017 Summer Universiade, the Russian Championships in 2018 and 2019, and the 2019 World Cup, as well as a Silver in this year’s European Championships in Batumi, Georgia;
• Tima Turieva (Ти́ма Тури́ева), who won Gold in the -63kg category at the Wrocław 2019 IWF World Championships.
All five have been charged with violations of Article 2.2 of the IWF Anti-Doping Policy, which relates to use, or attempted use, of a prohibited substance. ‘These assertions are the result of a close collaboration between the IWF and WADA’s [World Anti-Doping Agency] I&I [Intelligence and Investigations Department], which provided invaluable support, including documentary packages containing the relevant evidence’, read a separate IWF statement. The Russian weightlifting federation (ФТАР) has yet to issue a statement in response to the charges.
Just four athletes competing in four sports, from two countries, were involved in anti-doping proceedings...
Twenty nine athletes from ten counties, competing in 13 sports, were involved in anti-doping proceedings...
Eight athletes from eight countries, competing in seven sports, were involved in anti-doping proceedings that...