Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has issued its latest list of positive cases in athletics, according to information it has received up to 26 June 2017. The list includes an eight-year ban issued to Sorin Mineran, following a positive test at the Bucharest National Marathon Championships in October last year. It is a second offence for the Romanian, as he was sanctioned with a two-year ban in 2010 after testing positive for testosterone.
However, Taiwanese runner Yu-Fang Hsu has only been issued with a one-year ban following an in-competition test in Tokyo on 24 June last year, despite it being her second doping offence. She has already served a two-year ban after testing positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in 2011, as this previous IAAF list shows.
The IAAF list also includes four-year bans issued to:
• Abdelhadi Fettah, after the French runner tested positive at the Ostend-Bruges 10 miles in Belgium on 5 March this year;
• Indian shot-putter Manpreet Kaur on 28 June last year;
• Turkey’s Rahime Kolay, following a positive test at the Erzurum Half Marathon on 22 May last year;
• Turkey’s Derya Kaya following an in-competition test on 14 August last year;
• Kazakh discus thrower Yevgeniy Labutov following an out-of-competition (OOC) test on 30 March this year;
• Maltese sprinter Kevin Moore, as previously reported by The Sports Integrity Initiative.
The IAAF list also includes public reprimands issued to 30-year-old Kenyan Marathon runner Mercy Jerotich Kibarus, who told local media she had never taken a banned substance; and to Ajee Wilson, as previously reported on The Sports Integrity Initiative. Public warnings have been issued to South African Dane Roets after an adverse analytical finding (AAF) from a test in Pretoria on 8 February this year; and to Liudmila Rudzko, after the Bulgarian failed an OOC test in Salsanov on 23 February this year.
The IAAF list also includes sanctions issued to a number of Russian athletes following the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) retests of samples given at the Beijing 2008 Olympics. These are Anastasiya Kapachinskaya, Denis Alekseyev, and Inga Abitova. The list also confirmed the four-year ban issued by the Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) to coach Lyudmila Fedoriva, as reported by The Sports Integrity Initiative in January 2016.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...