Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Sérgio Cabral, the former Governor of Rio, has testified that he paid US$2 million in bribes to secure the hosting of the Rio 2016 Olympics, reports Bloomberg. It is understood that Cabral, who is serving a 15 year prison sentence, told prosecutors that Lamine Diack, former President of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and his son, Papa Massata Diack, requested $1.5 million and $500,000 respectively. In 2016, a charge sheet published by Brazil’s Federal Public Ministry (MPF) detailed the payment, as reported by The Sports Integrity Initiative.
Mr Diack has never contacted me about my vote at the election of the host city for the Olympic Games 2016. My lawyers will write to Mr Diack to ask him to explain the allegations of Mr Cabral who wrongly claims in his testimony that Mr Diack could secure my vote.
— Sergey Bubka (@sergey_bubka) July 5, 2019
• The Los Angeles Marathon has disqualified Dr. Frank Meza, 70-74 age group winner with a time of 2:53:10, after concluding he had taken shortcuts. ‘After an extensive review of original video evidence from official race cameras and security cameras at retail locations along the race course, Conqur Endurance Group has determined that Dr. Frank Meza violated a number of race rules during the 2019 Skechers Performance Los Angeles Marathon, including re-entering the course from a position other than where he left it’, read a statement. ‘The video evidence is confirmed by a credible eyewitness report and our calculation that Dr. Meza’s actual running time for at least one 5K course segment would have had to have been faster than the current 70-74 age group 5K world-record [an impossible feat during a marathon]’.
• The South American football confederation (CONMEBOL) has emphasised the importance of respecting refereeing decisions, after Lionel Messi made allegations of corruption after receiving a red card during Argentina’s 2-1 victory over Chile during the Copa America 3rd place match on Saturday. “We do not have to be part of this corruption”, Messi told media after the match. ‘In football sometimes you win and sometimes you lose and a fundamental pillar of fair play is to accept the results with loyalty and respect’, read a CONMEBOL statement. ‘The same goes for refereeing decisions […] It is unacceptable that following incidents in a competition where all 12 teams are equal, unfounded accusations have been made, neglecting the truth and calling into question the integrity of the Copa America.’
• Applications from 37 Russians to compete internationally as Authorised Neutral Athletes (ANAs) have been accepted, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced. The Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF), which remains suspended by the IAAF, announced that 12 coaches have been given permits to work with ANAs by the IAAF.
• Swati Singh has returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for morphine, the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) announced. The Indian won the bronze medal in the women’s 53kg category at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games after initially finishing fourth, after Nigerian Chika Amalaha was disqualified for doping.
• France’s Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) has said that it is ‘dismayed’ to have received a subpoena from its broadcast partner demanding €46 million in compensation for games rescheduled due to the ‘Yellow Vests’ protests. ‘In a similar manner to clubs and fans, the LFP has suffered for several months the consequences of a major social crisis that affected all economic sectors in France’, continued its statement. Canal Plus argues that the LFP deliberately moved matches to times that were unfavourable to the broadcaster, in a statement provided to L’Equipe.
As the World Cup has vividly shown, women’s football is growing in popularity and status...
The European Commission has requested details of all sponsorship contracts concluded by Nike’s European Operations...
USADA announced today that Ivan Shtyrkov, of Kosulino, Russia, has accepted a two-year sanction for...