The trouble with Ostarine: Jimmy Wallhead’s
16th March 2018
• Two middle distance runners have been sanctioned with bans for anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs), the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of World Athletics announced. Turkey’s Gülcan Mıngır has been sanctioned with a two year ban, after retests of a sample given at the London 2012 Olympics returned an adverse analytical finding for dehydrochloromethyltestosterone (DHCMT, or oral Turinabol). She has already been disqualified from the London 2012 3,000m steeplechase, as announced by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in April. Ukrainian Natalіia Krol has been sanctioned with a 20 month ban from 16 January. The full Decision reveals she returned an AAF for hydrochlorothiazide due to a 16 January 2020 test, and the AIU accepted that a pharmacy had prescribed ‘Captopres-Darnitsa (Captopril)’ after she had sought treatment for hypertension on 11 January. Krol argued that a search on the Russian Anti-Doping Agency’s (RUSADA) internet site yielded no results. A Google search directs to the product’s page, which lists hydrochlorothiazide as one of the ingredients.
• Baseball player Alessandro Deotto has been provisionally suspended after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for a metabolite of clostebol in a 17 July out of competition test, Italy’s national anti-doping agency (NADO Italia) announced.
• Researchers at Otago University have developed a non-targeted test that can be used to detect any form of steroid use by athletes, reports Reuters. It is understood that the new test focuses on detecting changes at the cellular level, as all anabolic steroids activate a common pathway inside a cell. It is understood that the development of the test was led by Professor Alison Heather.
• Marc-Andre ‘Power Bar’ Barriault blames supplements for an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for ostarine, reports The Canadian Press. The Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) middleweight issued a statement clarifying that the amount of ostarine in his sample was 190 picograms. It is understood that the UFC is working with Barriault to analyse supplements he was taking in an attempt to discover the source of the ostarine.
• Online bookings for this event are now closed. If you would like to attend...
International Boxing Association (AIBA) has retained McLaren Sport Solution (MGSS), led by Professor Richard McLaren,...