Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Diack arrest update: Lamine Diack’s family have issued a statement in response to his arrest by French police on allegations of corruption. The former IAAF President was arrested earlier this week over allegations that he accepted money from Russian authorities in order to cover up positive doping tests. According to Reuters, Diack’s family said that ‘16 months of investigation by the IAAF ethics committee led by British lawyer Michael Beloff had not unveiled anything substantial so far’, adding that the ‘coming days will demonstrate the insignificance of these surreal accusations.’
The Daily Mail has further reported that a leading official in athletics has said that the criminal investigation into Diack could ‘could see athletes from beyond the borders of Russia implicated in the cover-up of drugs tests.’ WADA is reportedly to present its report on the Diack allegations on Monday. Meanwhile The Guardian has reported that the former director of the IAAF’s medical and anti-doping department, Gabriel Dollé, has also been placed under formal investigation. Dollé was reportedly released on Wednesday from police custody on €100,000 bail.
• Five Russian athletes suspended for doping: The TASS news agency is reporting that five Russian athletes had been suspended by the All-Russia Athletics Federation (ARAF). Those suspended have been named as hammer thrower Maria Bespalova, marathon runner Maria Konovalova, middle-distance runners Vlas Bredikhin and Yaroslav Kholopov, and race walker Yevgeny Nushtayev. The bans reportedly range from six months to four years.
• Russian water polo player suspended: The Russian Water Polo Federation (FVPR) has reportedly suspended Ivan Suchkov, a Russian international for one year for an anti-doping violation. The ban is backdated to 2 June 2015.
• Timor Leste footballers plead guilty: Channel News Asia has reported that the two Timor Leste nationals appearing in a Singaporean court on charges of match-fixing have pleaded guilty. Former Timor Leste football player Moises Natalino De Jesus and the country’s Technical Director, Orlando Marques Henriques Mendes, were charged on five counts under the Prevention of Corruption Act. Sentencing is expected today (Friday).
• AFL player recesives two-game ban: Professional AFL player, Jake Carlisle, who plays for Melbourne-based football club St Kilda, has been suspended for the club’s frist two game. The ban was imposed by the AFL for conduct prejudicial to the interests of the AFL Anti-Doping Code. Carlisle has also reportedly forfeited AUD$50,000 (€33,000) in marketing money on top of the ban. A video of Carlisle snorting a line of white powder was uploaded onto social media last month, after which Carlisle admitted to ‘making a very poor decision’. The video became public just hours after the footballer had been traded from Essendon to local rivals St Kilda, with a local news channel claiming that Carlisle’s manager knew of the video before the trade was completed. St Kilda reportedly said that they were unaware of the video before until after they had recruited Carlisle.
• New Zealand Football adopt new match-fixing regulations: The governing body for football in New Zealand has announced that it has adopted new anti-match fixing and sports betting regulations in time for the start of the new domestic season. The regulations prohibit gambling or betting on a particular match or event by any player, coach or any other person involved directly in a particular competition.
An External Review Commission (ERC) tasked with investigating allegations of past wrongdoing within the International...
Bulgarian tennis player Aleksandrina Naydenova has been issued with a lifetime ban from the sport...