Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Athlete Committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has reiterated that it will push for voting representation on the Foundation Board and Executive Committee of the Agency, in a Summary of Outcomes document (PDF below) published after a 13 November meeting in Baku, Azerbaijan. It resolves to establish a Working Group to analyse and develop a model of athlete representation, in response to the Governance Working Group’s refusal to grant athletes additional representation until they can ‘confirm exactly how and by what means they are represented, as well as how their representatives are selected’. The Athlete Committee also ‘welcomes and supports the new “Athlete Central” (new Whereabouts App)’, which it said is being developed as part of WADA’s Anti-Doping Administration and Management System (ADAMS).
• The Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) has dropped charges against seven players of a junior ice-hockey team who returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for meldonium. ‘RUSADA accepted that the athletes did not use “mildronate” [Russian brand of meldonium] deliberately and meldonium was ingested by them through a food supplement which was contaminated by a third party’, read a statement from the players’ legal representatives, Kleverkonsalt.
• The Serbian trotting federation (UKSS) has sanctioned Srdjan Jovin with a six month ban after his horse, Quick Viervil, tested positive for methocarbamol, announced the Anti-Doping Agency of Serbia (ADAS). The horse has been suspended for three months, and both bans are backdated to 1 October.
• The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has published the Independent Observer (IO) Report from the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. Click here for the WADA statement and click here for the full Report. The Report was welcomed by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA), who said that it recognised that ‘ASADA, in partnership with the Gold Coast Organising Committee (GOLDOC) and the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), has been able to deliver a world-class anti-doping program that has set the global benchmark for anti-doping programs’.
The IAAF today submitted its response on provisional measures to the Swiss Federal Tribunal (SFT),...
• Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa has been sanctioned with a four year ban after admitting using...
Three footballers have been sanctioned with four year bans for ordering prohibited substances over the...