Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has sanctioned Chilean Carlos Oyarzun with a four-year ban, over a year after he tested positive for FG-4592. The compound stimulates the production of erythropoietin (EPO) inside the body (endogenous). Unlike exogenous (externally administered) EPO, it is available in pill form and works in combatting anaemia by increasing an individual’s ability to produce red blood cells. As red blood cells contain iron, this helps combat anaemia, but red blood cells also carry oxygen around the body – specifically to the muscles. It is also understood that FG-4592 doesn’t raise blood pressure in the same way as EPO, reducing the risk of heart attacks due to ‘thickened’ blood. On 29 July last year, the UCI suspended the Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec Pro Continental team for 30 days, after rider Fabio Taborre reported an adverse analytical finding for FG-4592. In April last year, the French anti-doping agency (AFLD) confirmed that race-walker Bertrand Molinet had returned a positive test for FG-4592.
• The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has charged Stanislau Chadovich of Belarus with substituting his urine at a doping control, finding the 62kg silver medallist at the 2014 European Championships in Tel Aviv guilty of ‘urine substitution’. The IWF also found that Hsiao Ya-Fang of Chinese Taipei has returned an adverse analytical finding for 3-hydroxystanozolol glucuronide, an anabolic agent; and Krzysztof Szramiak of Poland has returned an AAF for GHRP-6, a peptide hormone.
• FIFA’s Early Warning System (EWS) has signed an agreement with Tipbet, which will inform EWS about any irregular or suspicious betting behaviour. “We are proud to be of support to FIFA, and to contribute in their efforts to safeguard the integrity of football tournaments and at the same time, strengthening the soundness of our betting systems and services offered”, said Tipbet’s General Manager, Bahadir Malkoc, in a statement. EWS works with international betting operators and regulators to exchange information on irregular and suspicious betting activities.
• A South Korean baseball player has been sanctioned with a two-year suspended prison term after being convicted of match-fixing, reports Japan Today. Lee Tae Yang, of the Korea Baseball Organisation’s (KBO) NC Dinos, has reportedly been sanctioned along with a broker involved in the scheme and a second-tier player.
• Orlando Pirates player Thandani Ntshumayelo is to appeal a four-year ban issued by the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport (SAIDS) following a positive test for cocaine, reports Sport24. The footballer’s agent told the website that Pirates had terminated Ntshumayelo’s contract.
• The National Football League (NFL) has met with three players alleged to have been supplied with performance-enhancing drugs in a December 2015 Al Jazeera documentary, AP reports. The documentary relied on claims made by Charlie Sly, who retracted his claims the day after the documentary aired, in a video which appeared to be scripted.
• The Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) has confirmed that all human and equine samples taken at the Rio 2016 Olympics were negative. The FEI was responsible for the 60 equine samples taken in Rio – 30% of the 200 competing horses. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) was responsible for testing riders.
• The Russian Skating Union has disqualified speed skater Yevgeny Nazarov for two years, reports the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA).
• Over 100 of the 266 Russian athletes who qualified for the Rio 2016 Paralympics have filed a direct appeal to the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), which suspended Russia on 7 August. On 29 August, the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) reported that the Russian Federation of Physical Culture and Sport for Persons with Physical Disabilities (FPODA) had disqualified Airat Zakieva, Tatiana Zhavoronkova and Olga Kiseleva for four years.
Jim Walden, Managing Partner at Walden, Macht & Haran LLP and Attorney for Dr. Grigory...
Welsh Rugby Union player Lance Randall has been suspended from all sport for a period...