Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The International Biathlon Union (IBU) announced that it has notified four Russian athletes and the Russian Biathlon Union (RBU) about an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV). In December last year, the IBU announced that reinstatement of the RBU’s membership of the IBU was conditional on no adverse analytical findings (AAFs) or ADRVs being committed after 1 January 2017.
• Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) announced that it had ‘taken steps to strengthen anti-corruption measures at the venues where the SLC T20 League 2018 is being played’, after noticing ‘suspicious individuals’ at matches. An SLC official told AFP that it had handed over two individuals to police after noticing suspicious behaviour during a Twenty20 game, a day after a group of spectators were asked to leave another venue.
• The National Hockey League (NHL) has suspended Nate Schmidt of the Vegas Golden Knights for 20 games for violating its Performance Enhancing Substances Program, it announced yesterday.
• The Japanese Gymnastics Association (JGA) has appointed a committee to investigate allegations of abuse of power, it announced. On Friday, two JGA officials denied allegations of harassment made by an Olympic gymnast, reported the Japan Times.
• Juan Ángel Napout, former President of the Latin American football confederation (CONMEBOL), has been sentenced to a nine year jail term on charges of racketeering and wire fraud, reports the BBC. Napout and José Maria Marin, former President of the Confederation of Brazilian Football (CBF), were convicted in December last year for their part in the FIFA corruption scandal. Marin was sentenced to a four year jail term last week. Marin was one of 14 people arrested by Swiss authorities at the Baur au Lac hotel in May 2015, ahead of a FIFA Presidential election.
Lamine Diack, former President of World Athletics, has been sentenced to four years in prison,...
• The international automobile federation (FIA) is investigating Lewis Hamilton for wearing a t-shirt highlighting...
The United Nations has questioned why the trial of Iranian wrestler Navid Afkari was conducted...