Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Ilyas Nurgaliyev (Ильяс Нургалиев), an 800m runner, has been sanctioned with a two year ban for an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) involving oxilofrine (methylsynephrine), the Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) announced. Nurgaliyev returned an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) on 21 July 2018 at the Russian Championships in Kazan, and his ban will run from 10 August 2018.
• Craig Russell has been sanctioned with a two year ban for an anti-doping rule violation involving clomiphene, a female fertility drug, the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) announced. The Gala Rugby player has been serving an interim ban since October 2017, and so his sanction will expire in October this year. The sanction has yet to be publicised* by UK Anti-Doping (UKAD).
• Salome Jerono Biwott has been charged with an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV), after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for norandrosterone, a list of provisional suspensions issued by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) confirms. It is understood that the Kenyan marathon runner previously served a two year ban for an ADRV involving the same substance, following an AAF at the 2012 Nairobi Marathon.
• Swiss two man Bobsleigh team Beat Hefti and Alex Baumann have received the Sochi 2014 Gold Medal, after the Russian team (Alexander Zubkov/Alexey Voevoda) were disqualified for doping, the International Bobsleigh & Skeleton Federation (IBSF) announced. In January, Zubkov stepped down as President of the Russian Bobsled Federation after being sanctioned with a two year ban by the IBSF, after refusing to return his Sochi 2014 medals.
• The international federation of football associations (FIFA) announced that it has published a Women’s Football Survey Report (PDF below), which tracks involvement in women’s football amongst 198 of FIFA’s 211 Member Associations (13 didn’t participate). The Report found that 73% of participating Member Associations have an active women’s national team, and 13.3 million girls and women are involved in organised football. The US has 1.6 million registered players, whilst the UK has 120,000.
• A 40 year old has been detained by Switzerland’s Federal Customs Administration, after two bags of doping substances and over €100,000 in cash was found in his car as he attempted to enter the country, reports national news agency ATS. It is understood that the Lithuanian man has been fined, and the doping products have been handed to Anti-Doping Switzerland.
* UKAD publicised the sanction later on 3 July 2019. Click here for its statement.
Sun Yang is to appeal an eight year ban issued by the Court of Arbitration...
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) acknowledges the decision of the Cycling Australia (CA) to...
As entrusted by Mr. Sun Yang, Mr. Zhang Qihuai, Attorney of Beijing Lanpeng Law Firm,...