Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Equestrian jumping athlete Emma Augier de Moussac has blamed a ‘natural’ food supplement for an adverse analytical finding (AAF), which she says has led to a provisional suspension by the international equestrian federation (FEI). It is understood that the substance concerned is the diuretic and masking agent hydrochlorothiazide.
• The Russian Judo Federation has sanctioned two athletes with two year bans, the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) has announced. Bans issued to Ekaterina Filimonov (Екатерину Филимонову) and Adam-Haji Mutalieva (Адама-Хаджи Муталиева) will run from 26 July 2019.
• The international motorcycling federation (FIM) is considering taking further disciplinary action against Anthony West for inappropriate behaviour and for competing whilst suspended, reports Marca. West was sanctioned with a two year ban for an anti-doping rule violation involving cocaine in October last year, and his sanction is due to expire on 14 September this year. West reveals that the FIM is considering sanctioning him for competing in the non-FIM Superbike Brasil series last year, in a Facebook post reproduced by Marca, which also accuses the FIM of corruption.
• Alexander Besputin (Александр Беспутин) is awaiting clarification from the Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA), after a 1 December sample was flagged as ‘abnormal’, the Russian boxer told State news agency Tass. It is understood that Besputin will also seek analysis of his B sample, also taken after his 1 December victory over Radzhab Butaev (Раджаб Бутаев) to win the World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight title. It is understood that VADA detected traces of lingradol in Besputin’s sample.
• The Russian snowboarding federation has sanctioned Nikita Avtaneeva (Никиту Автанеева) with a two year ban for whereabouts failures, the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) announced. It is understood that the decision means that Avtaneeva will not be able to qualify for the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.
• Three cyclists have been sanctioned for anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs) and a volleyball player has been provisionally suspended, Italy’s national anti-doping organisation (NADO Italia) confirms. Luca Kogler has been sanctioned with a four year ban; Maria Cristina Nisi has been sanctioned with a four year ban; and a minor cyclist has been sanctioned with a five month ban. Manuel Beghelli, who plays for Cuneo volleyball team in Italy’s Serie A3, has been provisionally suspended after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for a metabolite of THC (cannabis).
• Vadzim Likharad has been provisionally suspended after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has announced. The Belarusian won Bronze in both the the -73kg category at the 2019 IWF European Championships and the 2018 IWF World Championships.
Fabricio Quirós and Orlando Quesada have been provisionally suspended after reporting adverse analytical findings (AAFs)...