Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Rachel See has been named as the winner of the December 2018 Singapore Marathon, after first place finisher Baoying Lim was sanctioned with a three year, nine month ban after reporting an an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for modafinil. The full decision (PDF below) from the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) confirms that Lim tested positive at the Singapore Marathon on 9 December. It also reveals that Lim admitted ingesting a quarter of a tablet of modafinil on the morning of the race, as she didn’t realise it was prohibited.
• Eight current and three former footballers have been detailed as part of an investigation into match-fixing in the First and Second Divisions, the Anti-Corruption Agency of the State Security Service of Georgia (SSG) announced. Six of the eleven were pictured in an undercover video (below) discussing arrangements to bribe footballers to lose by two or more goals. The footballers and clubs involved are named in the SSG statement.
• The UK Government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) has published the Management Agreement for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. For the 2019/2020 financial year, the document sets a £2 million limit per project for expenditure on new constructions. It also sets a limit of £1,000 for individual gifts given and/or received by the organising committee.
• Race walker Maria Ponomareva (Мария Пономарева) and sprinter Alexander Stepanov (Александра Степанова) have been sanctioned with four year bans, the Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) has announced. Ponomareva was sanctioned for use or attempted use of a prohibited substance or method, and Stepanov was sanctioned after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for oxandrolone. Ponomareva was one of four race walkers who were refused Authorised Neutral Athlete (ANA) status by the International Association fo Athletics Federations (IAAF) in April.
• Biathlete Christina Borovikova has been sanctioned with a four year ban for an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) involving meldonium, according to an updated list of sanctions published by Kazakhstan’s National Anti-Doping Committee (KazNADC). Borovikova’s ban will run from 25 January 2019 until 25 January 2023.
• Gomathi Marimuthu, who won Gold in the 800m at the Asian Athletics Championships at the end of April, has been provisionally suspended by the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) after failing two anti-doping tests. returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for 19-norandrosterone, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced.
• Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa, Silver Medal winner in the Rio 2016 Marathon, has been provisionally suspended after returning an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) for erythropoietin (EPO), the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced. In 2014, the Kenyan born runner transferred her allegiance to Bahrain (click here to download the relevant IAAF documentation).
• Iranian Hossein Keyhani, who won Gold in the 3,000m steeplechase at the 2018 Asian Games, has been provisionally suspended after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for erythropoietin (EPO), the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced.
• Sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye of Trinidad & Tobago has been provisionally suspended after being charged...
Willie Rioli of West Coast Eagles has been provisionally suspended after a 20 August sample...
The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) announced today that Curtis Caron, a para-table...