The trouble with Ostarine: Jimmy Wallhead’s
16th March 2018
• Race walker Lebogang Shange, who was named in South Africa’s squad for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics despite being provisionally suspended since 19 December 2019, has been sanctioned with a four year ban by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). Shange’s four year ban runs from the date of the unpublished Award and takes into account his provisional suspension, which was rescinded from 30 June to 23 July this year to enable his qualification for the Olympics. As such, his four year period of ineligibility is set to be reduced by 18 months and 12 days. This means that if the date of the unpublished Award were today, his ban would end around 4 February 2023.
• Famous sumo wrestler Eres Kara-Sala (Эреса Кара-Сала) has been sanctioned with a ten year ban, the Russian anti-doping agency (RUSADA) announced. RUSADA didn’t explain the reasons for the ban, but mentioned violations of Articles 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 of the All Russian Anti-Doping Rules, all of which refer to the inclusion of substances that feature on the Prohibited List of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). The Tuvan wrestler was awarded a prestigious title last year and is understood to be an international master of Sumo. RUSADA also confirmed that arm wrestling coach Tatiana Zakharova (Татьяну Захарову) has been sanctioned with a four year ban from 23 November 2020 for possession of a prohibited substance.
• Andrea Motta, a former technician to the Italian bodybuilding team, has been sanctioned with a 25 year ban, Italy’s national anti-doping agency (NADO Italia) announced. Earlier this year, Motta was charged under Italian anti-doping law with administering doping substances that fall within the scope of narcotics and administering medicine in a dangerous manner, reported Gazetta di Montova. It is understood that he gave painkillers to a boy who later fell ill. He was sanctioned for trafficking/attempted trafficking; administration/attempted administration; and use/attempted use of a prohibited substance. Another bodybuilder, Carlo Michelini, was sanctioned with an eight year ban and Erio Cadeggianini, who was arrested in March 2019 under suspicion of trafficking anabolic steroids, was sanctioned with a 20 year ban.
• Italian basketball club Virtus Bologna has unilaterally terminated its contract with US player Vince Hunter, after he was sanctioned with a three month ban for an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) involving cannabis. Hunter was provisionally suspended earlier this month after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF – or ‘positive test’) for cannabis earlier this month. His ban will expire on 10 September.
• Global Lottery Monitoring Systems (GLMS) alerted 56 matches to its partners during the first two quarters of 2021 (Jan-June), its latest Report reveals (PDF below). The majority of the alerts concerned football (47); and the remaining nine were sent to the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the E-Sports Integrity Commission (ESIC), ad the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA).
• Ruslan Valiullin (Русланом Валиуллиным) has reported an adverse analytical finding (AAF – or ‘positive...
Shelby Houlihan, who was sanctioned with a four year ban for an anti-doping rule violation...
• The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) today decided to suspend...