Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The winners of October’s Sofia Marathon Youssef Sbaii (Morocco) and Viktoriia Khapilina (Ukraine) have been provisionally suspended after returning adverse analytical findings for erythropoietin (EPO), the Athletics Integrity Unit of World Athletics has announced on its Provisional Suspensions page. Sbaii finished with the same time (2:13:03) as fellow Moroccan Redouane Nouini, a record for the Sofia Marathon, however video technology suggested that Sbaii had finished first. The AIU also announced that US triple jumper Omar Craddock has been provisionally suspended for whereabouts failures.
• Robinson Canó of New York Mets has been suspended for 162 games after testing positive for stanozolol, the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball has announced. Under Section 7.A.2 of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, a player who commits a second violation of the Program receives an automatic 162 game suspension. Canó had already served an 80 game suspension for violating the Program on 15 May 2018. MLB said that his ban will commence at the start of the 2021 season on 1 April. It is understood that Canó will forfeit his entire US$24 million salary for 2021.
• Johanni Taljaard has reported an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for clomiphene, the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has announced. The South African record holder in the 59kg category was raising funds to complete qualification for the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
• Boxer Nikola Jovanović (Никола Јовановић) has been sanctioned with a one year ban for an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) involving THC (cannabis), the Anti-Doping Agency of Serbia (ADAS) has announced.
• Squash player Olivia Fletcher has been issued with a public warning, after failing to obtain a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for spironolactone, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced. Fletcher had declared the prescribed medication on her Doping Control Form and because the sample was collected out of competition, USADA said there were no results to disqualify.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has registered two new appeals filed against decisions...
Recent Decisions in the Shayna Jack1 and Andrea Iannone2 cases illustrate that when an athlete...
USADA announced today that an independent arbitrator with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)...