Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa has been sanctioned with a four year ban after admitting using erythropoietin (EPO), the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced. The full decision (PDF below) reveals that the Kenyan, who competes for Bahrain, initially argued that she had not doped intentionally, but the EPO must have entered her body due to contamination of a caudal epidural. She later changed her story, and admitted use of EPO.
• The Anti-Doping Appeal Panel (ADAP) of India’s national anti-doping agency (NADA India) had upheld an eight year sanction imposed on Priyanka Panwa following an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for mephentermine. Mephentermine is a cardiac stimulant formerly used in Wyamine nasal decongestants, and is also used in treatment for low blood pressure. Panwar previously served a one year ban after returning an AAF for methandienone ahead of the London 2012 Olympics. Panwar was a member of the 4x400m team that took gold at the 2014 Incheon Asian Games, and her sanction was confirmed in NADA India’s May newsletter (PDF below). NADA’s newsletter also confirmed provisional suspensions for seven weightlifters and for Jyoti Singh, who won Gold in the New Delhi half marathon last month.
• Honduran Cristopher Pavon Funes has returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for stanozolol metabolites and dehydrochloromethyltestosterone metabolites; and Syrian weightlifter Nahil Dyab has returned an AAF for methasterone and its metabolite 2α,17α-dimethyl-5α-androstane-3α,17β-diol, the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) announced.
• Felix Kirwa has been sanctioned with a nine month ban after returning an adverse analytical finding for strychnine, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) announced. The Kenyan tested positive at the 2018 edition of the Singapore Marathon, which he won in 2016. The full decision (PDF below) reveals that Kirwa’s AAF was due to consuming Arthritis Care and Goodcare Arthplus, both of which contains Strychnos nuxvomica, which contains Strychnine. Strychnine itself is not listed on either product.
• Michel Platini, former President of UEFA, has been detained by France’s Parquet National Financier (PNF) as part of investigations into the award of the 2022 FIFA World Cup to Qatar, reports Le Monde. The newspaper reports that Sophie Dion, a former advisor to the country’s former President, Nicholas Sarkozy, has also been detained as part of an investigation into ‘alleged acts of bribery and corruption’.
• The Macau FA is investigating the 21-18 victory of Ka I over Hang Sai, after the game’s referee reported that the two clubs were deliberately conceding goals, reports the Macau Daily Times.
• Jarlinson Pantano has announced his retirement from cycling following a positive test for erythropoietin (EPO), reports El Espectador. The International Cycling Union (UCI) announced that the Colombian had returned a positive test from a 29 February out of competition control earlier this year.
• Sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye of Trinidad & Tobago has been provisionally suspended after being charged...
Willie Rioli of West Coast Eagles has been provisionally suspended after a 20 August sample...
The Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) announced today that Curtis Caron, a para-table...