Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The trial of Dr. Mark Schmidt and four alleged accomplices began today at the Munich regional court, reports German State radio (MDR). The five defendants are understood to be implicated in 150 doping cases between 2011-2019 following the Operation Aderlass investigations into the customers of Dr. Schmidt. Investigations began after cross country skier Johannes Dürr confessed to using blood transfusions, erythropoietin (EPO) and growth hormones. This led police to arrest nine people in a February 2019 raid, one of whom was caught red handed whilst receiving a blood transfusion. A number of other athletes and coaches have since been implicated.
• Scott Robinson and Sarah Izhaki pleaded guilty to conspiring to unlawfully distribute adulterated and misbranded drugs for doping racehorses, the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York announced. The two were part of 27 people implicated in a US horse doping ring uncovered in March.
• Spelinspektionen, Sweden’s gambling regulator, has announced new rules designed to counteract match-fixing in Swedish football. The new rules prohibit betting companies from offering odds on:
– rule violations during matches (such as penalties, yellow cards or players being sent off);
– under 18 matches;
– Bets on lower division matches (only the top four divisions), Cup games and training matches other than those played by the national team, where bets on u21 training matches upwards will be permitted.
• A track and field athlete and a volleyball player have been sanctioned for doping,...
The Belarusian athletics federation (BFLA) has appointed Ivan Tsikhan (Иван Тихон) as its new President,...
Overview On 4 September ESIC announced an investigation into the historical abuse of a bug...