Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The international federation of football associations (FIFA) announced it has filed a claim in the Swiss courts against Joseph S. Blatter and Michel Platini, its former President and Vice President, seeking to recover a CHF2 million (€1.8 million) ‘undue payment’ made to Platini in 2011. In 2017, the Swiss Federal Tribunal dismissed Platini’s appeal against a four year ban issued in connection to the payment.
• A 39 year old amateur footballer and coach has been sanctioned with a four year ban for possession and use of testosterone, Anti-Doping Switzerland has announced. It is understood that following information provided by the Zurich Cantonal Police, Switzerland’s law on the promotion of sports for the seizure and destruction of doping substances was used. The ban will run from 26 June 2019.
• Brazilian swimmer Roberto Marques de Cunha Filho has been sanctioned with a two year ban after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for cannabis at the Brazil Open, the international swimming federation (FINA) announced. His sanction will expire on 14 June 2021.
• Former Wales coach Rob Howley has been suspended from involvement in rugby union for 18 months, with nine months suspended, after breaching World Rugby Anti-corruption and Betting Regulations – known as regulation 6. The Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) announced that the suspension is backdated to the time of his initial withdrawal from the World Cup, on 16 September 2019, meaning Howley would be free to return to the game on or after 16 June 2020.
• Three Serbian athletes, a horse and its ‘responsible person’ have been provisionally suspended after returning adverse analytical findings (AAFs) for prohibited substances. Motorsport and Karting athlete Djordje Milosevic (Ђорђе Милошевић) has been provisionally suspended after testing positive at the national championships. Bodybuilders Branislav Vasic (Бранислав Васић) and Nevana Mutavdžić (Невена Мутавџић) have also been provisionally suspended after returning AAFs at the national championships. Meanwhile, Jimmy Oaks and Zoran Tasic (Зоран Тасић), the person responsible, have been provisionally suspended after the horse tested positive for a prohibited substance.
• Austrian athlete Julian Kellerer has been sanctioned with a two year ban for an anti-doping rule violation involving Andosterone and Etiocholanone, the Austrian Anti-Doping Rights Commission (ÖADR) announced. The decision (click here to download) outlines that the circumstances in which Kellerer took the substances involved ‘gross negligence’. His ban will expire on 14 July 2021.
Lamine Diack, former President of World Athletics, has been sentenced to four years in prison,...
• The international automobile federation (FIA) is investigating Lewis Hamilton for wearing a t-shirt highlighting...
The United Nations has questioned why the trial of Iranian wrestler Navid Afkari was conducted...