Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• A British man and five Germans have been charged by Munich prosecutors with running an underground doping laboratory to produce anabolic steroids, reports Reuters. A trial date is set for Monday.
• The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has filed an appeal against the Russian cycling federation’s (RCF) decision to clear Olympic medalist Olga Zabelinskaya (pictured) of doping, reports the Associated Press. The UCI told AP that it had filed an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on 16 December. Zabelinskaya took bronze in the London 2012 Olympics road race and time trial.
• Kuwait’s government has filed a US$1.3 billion lawsuit against 14 members of the country’s Olympic Committee, reports the Associated Press. The lawsuit seeks compensation for the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) October decision to suspend Kuwait for government interference in sport, which could result in Kuwait missing the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. An investigation is also underway in Kuwait, as reported by the Sports Integrity Initiative last year.
• Venezuelan international footballer Edgar Jimenez has been banned for two years following an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV), reports Reuters. It is understood that Jimenez will be launching an appeal.
• The Venezuelan professional baseball league (LVBP) has sanctioned two players, Thomas Neal and Gabriel García for violating its anti-doping rules. Neal has been banned for ten games due to a positive test for amphetamine, which he argues is due to a attention deficit disorder drug he has been taking since childhood. García has been suspended for 25 games for using a ‘performance-enhancing substance’, but the LVBP did not announce details.
• A national conference on the protection of heath in sport will take place on 12 and 13 February in the Spanish city of Mérida. The conference is organised by the Spanish agency for the protection of heath in sport (AEPSAD), the Spanish football league (LFP) and the Spanish sports council (CSD). Click here to visit the event’s internet site.
Alexander Kravtsov (Александра Кравцова), Director of the Centre of Sports Preparation (CSP) for Russia’s national...
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) welcomes the decision by the Correctional Tribunal in Paris, France,...
David Howman, former Director General of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), has cast doubt on...