Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Swiss broadcaster SRF has published a contract which appears to show that FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter (pictured) sold the TV rights to the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cups to Jack Warner for US$600,000, allowing Warner to allegedly make a profit of $11 million. At the time of the contract, Warner was FIFA Vice President and CONCACAF President. He is facing extradition from Trinidad & Tobago after being accused of corruption in the 47-count indictment released by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) in May.
• Investigative reporter Andrew Jennings has told Scotland’s Herald on Sunday that he has evidence that former Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) President Charles Dempsey took a US$250,000 bribe in return for abstaining from voting for the host of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The tournament was expected to be awarded to South Africa, however Germany won the rights to host the tournament after Dempsey abstained from voting.
• Major League Baseball (MLB) suspended St. Louis Cardinals catcher Cody Stanley for 80 games, after he tested positive for dehydrochlormethyltestosterone, it announced on 12 September.
• A portal for anti-doping in Spanish-speaking American countries has been created by Spain’s agency for the protection of health in sport (AEPSAD), the Central American and Caribbean Regional Anti-Doping Organisations (RADOs), the Argentinean and Brazilian anti-doping agencies. Deportelimpio.com was presented during the second day of the Latin American seminar against doping in sport in Guatemala, which included representatives from 21 Latin American anti-doping organisations.
• The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) and the International Centre for Security in Sport (ICSS) will host a technical meeting on match-fixing on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Details on the agenda for the two-day meeting are available here.
As the World Cup has vividly shown, women’s football is growing in popularity and status...
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has dismissed the appeal filed by the Albanian...
The European Commission has requested details of all sponsorship contracts concluded by Nike’s European Operations...