Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Yang Fangxu (杨方旭) will not be available to help the Chinese volleyball team defend its Rio 2016 Olympic title, after she was sanctioned with a four year ban after returning a positive test for erythropoietin (EPO) on 11 August last year. Her suspension will run until 11 September 2022, and was announced by the Chinese Anti-Doping Agency (CHINADA) alongside two other sanctions, which are understood to relate to ice hockey player Li Jiaxin (hydrochlorothiazide) and a college student (stanozolol).
• Golden Tate, Wide Receiver with the New York Giants, will miss the first four games of the National Football League (NFL) season, after his appeal against a suspension was turned down. ‘This morning, I received the unfortunate news that my appeal was denied’, read a statement posted on Twitter (below). ‘This past April, during the off-season, my wife and I decided to see a specialist for fertility planning’, read an earlier statement (also below). ‘I started the treatment prescribed to be and just days later, I discovered it contained an ingredient that is on the League’s banned substance list. I immediately discontinued use, I reported the situation to the Independent Administrator of the NFL Policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances, and I spoke with my coaches and General Manager. I did all of this well before a failed test was even confirmed.’
— Golden Tate (@ShowtimeTate) August 13, 2019
My statement. pic.twitter.com/WzP7W4bclB
— Golden Tate (@ShowtimeTate) July 27, 2019
• Manchester City, English Premier League champion, has been sanctioned with a CHF370,000 (£315,000) fine for breaching FIFA’s rules on the international transfer and register of U18 players. The fine represents 0.06% of the club’s £500 million revenue for the 2017/18 financial year.
• The National Rugby League (NRL) Integrity Unit is investigating after images emerged of Shaun Lane holding a plastic bag containing a white substance. ‘The club has begun an internal investigation and will work with the NRL Integrity Unit on the appropriate next steps’, read a statement from Parramatta Eels, Lane’s current club. It is understood that the image was sent via a private message during Manly Warringah Sea Eagles’ ‘Mad Monday’ end of season celebrations last year.
• Austrian triathlete Emanuel Marcel Moser has been sanctioned with an eight year ban. ‘Taking...
ZDF Sport has refuted allegations that its journalists were duped into reporting allegations of Kenyan...
Snixer Sports has sent a legal notice to the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB), after the...