Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has awarded Egypt the right to host the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCoN), after withdrawing the hosting rights from Cameroon following concerns it had not made adequate preparations. Last month, the Ivory Coast football association (FIF) appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over a CAF decision to shift the hosting rights back two years, meaning that Cameroon is scheduled to host the 2021 AFCoN – originally scheduled to be hosted by Ivory Coast.
• FIFA has called for a ‘humane and speedy resolution’ to a case involving Bahraini footballer Hakeem Al Araibi, who has been detained in Thailand whilst travelling to the country for his honeymoon. Al Araibi was granted refugee status by Australia, where he plays for a semi-professional Victorian team, after being sentenced in absentia on charges that he vandalised a police station during the 2011 Arab Spring uprising. Al Araibi denies the charges and is understood to be awaiting extradition to Bahrain.
• A voluntary commitment by bookmakers will ensure that £3 million is returned to the Greyhound Trust, announced the Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) Department of the UK Parliament. An agreement with four bookmakers was secured after discussions chaired by the DCMS, which called for a fair return to greyhound welfare from profits generated by greyhound racing.
• The South African Football Association (SAFA) has clarified that the South African Futsal Federation (SAFF) does not represent South Africa in the sport of futsal, contrary to its claims. A statement outlined that the South African Indoor Football Association (SAIFA), an associate member of SAFA, administers futsal in the country.
The IAAF today submitted its response on provisional measures to the Swiss Federal Tribunal (SFT),...
• Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa has been sanctioned with a four year ban after admitting using...
Three footballers have been sanctioned with four year bans for ordering prohibited substances over the...