Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• WADA said a team of experts has travelled to Russia ‘for initial meetings to explore the ways and means of how an anti-doping program can be run during a period of non-compliance with the World Anti-Doping Code’, read a statement issued today. ‘In particular, the testing program for athletes in Russia needs to be formulated and put into practice.’ UKAD will be part of the team. “UKAD has been asked by WADA to be part of an evaluation visit to Russia to support WADA explore the ways and means of how an anti-doping program can be run during a period of non-compliance with the World Anti-Doping Code”, said a UKAD spokesperson.
• The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has published its latest list of athletes subject to a doping sanction as of 4 December 2015. To view the full list, click here.
• Charlotte Hornets player Al Jefferson (pictured) has been suspended without pay for five games for violating the terms of the National Basketball Association’s (NBA) anti-drug programme. No details of the offence were released in the official statements put out by the club and the player, however it is understood that the NBA suspends players for five games following a third marijuana positive.
• The Panhellenic Professional Football Players’ Association (PSAP) has said that Greek football players will go on strike indefinitely from 17 December, in protest against a failure to keep to an agreement to create a relief fund for players who have been released by financially troubled teams. ‘The Greek FA, Super League and Football League committed, through a memorandum of understanding two years ago, to contribute financially towards the creation of the reserve fund’, read a 7 December PASP statement. ‘We informed the partners that they should tell us when they signed the regulations, as well as when the fund will go into operation, however we have received no reply’.
• The International Cricket Council (ICC) has confirmed the provisional suspension of Sri Lanka batsman Kusal Perera, after a sample provided on 12 October was found to contain a prohibited substance.
• The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) confirmed that Musa Hassan Bility has filed an appeal against a 12 November decision of the FIFA Ad hoc Electoral Committee to refuse his candidacy for FIFA Presidency. The FIFA Presidential elections are taking place on 26 February 2016.
• The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has confirmed that seven countries are interested in hosting the World Race Walking Championships or the U20 World Championships in 2016, both of which were scheduled to take place in Russia. The Russian athletics federation (ARAF) has been suspended by the IAAF, so will not be able to host either event. The winning candidates will be announced on 7 January 2016.
Leading Russian athletes are considering changing citizenship, after World Athletics put the Authorised Neutral Athlete...
The 2019 Annual Report of the Chinese Anti-Doping Agency (CHINADA) indicates that at least two...
The elite swimmer Sun Yang (the ‘Athlete’) has filed an appeal1 with the Swiss Federal...