Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) today acknowledged the decision of Rugby Australia’s Anti-Doping Judicial Panel to impose a four-year ban on athlete Tainui Ford for the presence of prohibited substances and their metabolites and the use of prohibited substances. Mr Ford returned an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) from an out-of-competition doping control test on 27 June 2018. His sample was analysed at the Australian Sports Drug Testing Laboratory, part of the National Measurement Institute, which detected the presence of Prohibited Substances and the metabolites of prohibited substances, namely:
• 19-Norandrosterone (metabolite of Nandrolone, Norandostenedione or Norandrostenediol);
• Methandienone and its metabolites 6b-hydroxymethandienone, 17-epimethandienone and 17b-hydroxymethyl-17a-methyl-18-nor-androsta-1,4,13-trien-3-one;
• Mestanolone, 17a-methyl-5a-androstane-3a,17b-diol, 2z-hydroxymethyl-17a-methyl-5a-androstan-3a,6b,17b-triol, and 2z,17b-dihydroxymethyl-17a-methyl-18-nor-5a-androst-13-en-3a-ol (metabolites of Oxymetholone);
• Oxandrolone and its metabolites 17b-methyl-17a-hydroxy-2-oxa-5a-androstan-3-one, 17b-hydroxymethyl-17a-methyl-18-nor-2-oxa-5a-androst-13-en-3-one, 17a-hydroxymethyl-17b-methyl-18-nor-2-oxa-5a-androst-13-en-3-one; and
• 17a-Trenbolone (metabolite of Trenbolone).
These anabolic agents are prohibited under category Class S1 of the 2018 World Anti-Doping Code 2018 Prohibited List and are prohibited at all times. Rugby Australia’s Anti-Doping Judicial Panel imposed a four-year ban on Mr Ford commencing on 13 September 2018. Mr Ford will be eligible to return to competition on 13 September 2022.
According to the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG), Nandrolone is sold as a treatment for conditions such as acute renal failure, inoperable mammary carcinoma, osteoporosis and aplastic anaemia. Possession without authority (i.e. prescription) is an offence.
Some of the general side effects of Nandrolone include swelling of ankles or feet, increased blood pressure, rash and increased or decreased sexual desire. Nandrolone also shows specific side effects in males, for example enlargement of the breast, difficulty to urinate due to growth of the prostate, reduction in sperm count, testicular atrophy and impotence. In females, Nandrolone could cause changes of the voice, which may be long-lasting or permanent, increased body or facial hair, and masculinisation.
Norandrostenedione and Norandrostenediol are listed under Schedule 4 of the Poisons Standard and are therefore regulated poisons. Possession without authority is an offence.
Nandrolone, Norandrostenedione and Norandrostenediol are prohibited imports under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulation 1956. Importation into Australia without a permit is an offence.
• This media release was published by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) on 18 November 2019. Click here for the original.
Sun Yang is to appeal an eight year ban issued by the Court of Arbitration...
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) acknowledges the decision of the Cycling Australia (CA) to...
As entrusted by Mr. Sun Yang, Mr. Zhang Qihuai, Attorney of Beijing Lanpeng Law Firm,...