Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) spent £585,659 on the case against boxer Tyson Fury and his cousin, Hughie Fury, a Freedom of Information (FOI) request has revealed. The majority (£576,587) related to legal work carried out by Bird & Bird, however UKAD said it is in the process of recovering £200,000 from its insurer, which means the net cost of the case will be £335,659. On 12 December, both received two year bans backdated to 13 December 2015, which meant that their bans expired that day.
• Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal (TNA) has sanctioned two cyclists, a futsal and a tennis player with doping offences. Mountain biker Mara Fumagalli has been sanctioned with a six month ban from 24 June 2017 to 23 September 2017, and from 6 February 2018 until 5 May 2018, announced Italy’s national anti-doping agency (NADO Italia). Cyclist Luca Musella has been sanctioned with a one year ban; and futsal player Dayen Estedadishad has been sanctioned with a six month ban. Tennis player Marco Giuseppe Baglivo has been sanctioned with a five month ban, after testing positive for THC metabolites (cannabis) in November last year.
• The Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) has written to the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) urging it to speed up the processing of applications for Russians to compete as neutral athletes at the World Indoors, which takes place from 2-4 March. In the letter, RusAF points out that the process of getting a visa to visit the UK takes time.
• Two former members of the Maltese U21 football team have been found guilty of match-fixing, after a court overturned an original judgment that had cleared them, reports the Times of Malta. Emanuel Briffa and Kyle Cesare were banned for life by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) last month, and four of their teammates were also sanctioned. In August 2016, a Magistrates Court cleared the two of all charges.
• Former Russian Deputy Minister for Sport, Yuri Nagornykh (Юрием Нагорных), spoke to students at...
The Anti-Doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) that was created for...
Three Thai chair umpires, Anucha Tongplew, Apisit Promchai and Chitchai Srililai, have been banned for...