Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Ethics Board of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) today extended provisional suspensions imposed on Nick Davies, Jane Boulter-Davies and Pierre-Yves Garnier until 31 January 2017. The three are accused of receiving illicit cash payments from Papa Massata Diack, son of former IAAF President Lamine Diack in 2013. Davies, who at that time was the IAAF’s Director of Communications, has since admitted accepting the cash payment, but denied that any knowledge that it was for anything illicit. In emails published by Le Monde last year, Davies appears to suggest delaying the announcement of Russian doping positives until after the 2013 IAAF World Championships Moscow.
• Guy Canivet has stood down as Chair of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Commission of Inquiry set to examine allegations of doping at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. In a statement, the IOC said that Canivet had stood down for ‘personal reasons’ and would also step down from his post as Vice Chairman of the IOC Ethics Commission. He will be replaced by IOC Ethics Commission member Samuel Schmid, a former President of the Swiss Confederation. The IOC Commission of Inquiry will follow up on any further allegations of systemic doping outlined in the second part of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) Independent Person (IP) report, which will be published on Friday.
• The Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee of the UK Parliament has published written evidence given by former CID police officer Simon Bywater to its Governance of Football inquiry. In his evidence, Bywater alleges that he was threatened with legal action and his social media accounts were hacked as a result of speaking out about his son’s treatment at a Premier League academy.
• US athletes are considering a boycott of the International Bobsleigh & Skeleton Federation (IBSF) World Championships in Sochi, 13-26 February, in protest against systemic Russian doping, reports the New York Times.
• The decisions focused on enhanced Code compliance monitoring and increased budget; and also, on...
The Foundation Board of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has decided that the Russian Anti-Doping...