Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has published its latest list of athletes that have been sanctioned for a doping offence. The list includes 26 athletes from 16 countries. Russia leads the pack with four athletes sanctioned; followed by Belarus and Turkey with three each; Cuba, Iraq and Lithuania with two each. One athlete from ten other countries were sanctioned by the IAAF this month for a doping offence.
• The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rejected an appeal from Turkish club Trabzonspor against a UEFA decision not to investigate allegations that a match-fixing case involving rival Fenerbahçe had not been handled correctly by the Turkish Football Federation. ‘As we have explained before, the subject of this case is the authority and punishment to be applied; the existence of the registered complaint is not the subject of this case’, read a statement from the club, which added that it would take its claim to FIFA. Details of the match-fixing allegations, which date back to 2011, are available here.
• The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has provisionally suspended Ekaterina Bashmakova after the Russian returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for furosemide, a diuretic and masking agent prohibited under section S5 of the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) Prohibited List. Bashmakova won the Russian junior championships in the 53kg snatch category this year.
• The Russian Ministry of Sport held a meeting on 23 March to monitor the provision of training facilities for the Russian national teams in preparation for the Olympic Games. The meeting was attended by the Russian Olympic Committee, the Federal Medical Biological Agency, the FGBU Centre for Sports Training of the Russian National Teams, the Federal Scientific Research Centre for Physical Culture and Sports (VNIFK), as well as sporting federations. ‘In addition, Peter Nicholson, international expert of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), who was invited to the meeting of the Headquarters, delivered a report on the activities of the Association of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency RUSADA on anti-doping support’, read a statement.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...