Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has confirmed that it has received a decision from the Turkish Athletics Federation sanctioning former Olympic 1,500m champion Aslı Çakır Alptekin with a life ban for a third doping offence. “The decision has been received by the Athletics Integrity Unit and is currently under review”, said a spokesperson.
• Argentina’s Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata has confirmed that Luciano Perdomo has returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) following a 27 May game against Club Atlético Colón. It is understood from media reports that Perdomo’s AAF involves a recreational drug.
• The Italian football association (FIGC) has sanctioned Juventus President Andrea Agnelli, who was recently appointed to the UEFA Executive Committee as a representative of the European Club Association (ECA), with a one year ban. The FIGC alleges that Agnelli was involved in a scheme to re-sell tickets to ‘ultras’ with links to organised crime. An FIGC statement is available here, and its full decision is available here. It is understood that both the FIGC and Agnelli plan to appeal the decision.
• The Anti-Doping Agency of the Republic of Serbia (AARS) has issued a warning about the dangers of testing positive for clenbuterol due to contaminated meat, after a volleyball player tested positive for the substance at a tournament in China.
• The Chinese Super League (CSL) has confirmed that an investigation into Tianjin Teda’s 4-1 victory over Tianjin Quanjian has been launched by the Chinese Football Association (CFA). It is understood that Tianjin Teda’s 23 September victory was the club’s first in four months.
• The International Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation (IBFF) has sanctioned Dalibora Jovanovića with a four year ban, after she returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for stanozolol and metenolone at the European Amateur Bodybuilding Championships in Spain on 4 May. The Anti-Doping Agency of the Republic of Serbia (AARS) announced that her sanction would run from 24 September 2017.
• Sierra Leone’s Ministry of Sports and National Sports Council have ordered the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) to cease all activity in an ongoing row over control over the organisation, according to local reports.
• The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has been notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) that Azamat Murzakanov has returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) from a 2 September test.
• Andy Brown, Editor of The Sports Integrity Initiative, will be attending the Sports Betting Integrity Forum event at Stamford Bridge tomorrow. To stay updated on developments at the event, entitled ‘Intelligence, Information and Integrity: Working together to protect sports betting integrity’, follow The Sports Integrity Initiative on Twitter.
Football DataCo, the official data rights holder of all the professional football leagues in England...