Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• South Africa’s Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has ‘revoked’ the rights of four of the country’s sports governing bodies to host international tournaments. Speaking at the launch of an annual transformation report, Mbalula said that South Africa’s athletics, cricket, netball and rugby federations had failed to meet agreed transformation targets, designed to create opportunities for black players. Football was the only federation to meet these targets. Mbalula says the ban is in place for at least a year.
• The President of the International Tennis Federation (ITF), David Haggerty, has reportedly insisted that ‘tennis is clean’ despite ‘plenty of issues’. In an interview with The Times, Haggerty criticised comments made by Dick Pound, the former President of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), who had said that meldonium was used by ‘lots of’ tennis players, and alleged that the ITF were aware of it. Haggerty has now reportedly said that Pounds comments were ‘not factually correct’.
• An information access request submitted by the Subdirección General de Calidad para el Deporte has found that between 2012 and 2013, there were 23 adverse analytical findings (AAFs) that were not publicised by the Mexican football federation (FMF), reports ESPN. The request was submitted under Article 42 of Mexico’s federal law on transparency and access to public government information,
• Sebastian Coe, President of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), told the Press Association that 17 June will be Russia’s “Come to Jesus moment”. It is expected that the IAAF Council will take a final decision on whether the Russian Athletics Federation (RusAF) will be readmitted on 17 June at its meeting in Vienna.
• Sources within Australia’s gambling industry have told the Herald Sun that agents of Asian betting exchange Citibet are collecting suitcases containing amounts of up to A$100,000 (€67,000) from customers in Melbourne car parks.
• World Rugby is offering funding for research projects into player welfare and medical practices until 31 May 2016. For more information, click here.
Mexican racewalker Maria Guadalupe Gonzalez-Romero is arguing that contaminated meat caused her October adverse analytical...
The Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) has filed an appeal against a 21 November Moscow City...