Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• England’s Football Association (FA) agreed to terminate all sponsorships with betting companies at its May board meeting, it announced yesterday. The FA said that the decision had been made following the conclusion of a three-month review of the FA’s approach to betting company sponsorship. Two months ago, Burnley midfielder Joey Barton was critical of the FA’s reliance on sponsorship companies when announcing he would appeal an 18-month ban for breaching FA rules on betting.
• FIFA is considering appealing for a one-year sanction issued to José ‘Tin’ Angulo by the Latin American football confederation (CONMEBOL) to be extended, according to local reports. It is understood that CONMEBOL issued the sanction after Angulo tested positive for cocaine, although an official CONMEBOL statement could not be found. In September 2016, Spanish club Granada CF confirmed that Angulo had returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) following a test during the Copa Libertadores on 20 July 2016.
• The Peruvian Football Federation (FPF) has suspended Mauricio Viana and Renzo Garcés for four games, after they failed to complete a doping control after the football club’s 1-0 loss to Real Garcilaso on 13 June, after becoming lost in the stadium. The players’ club, Sporting Cristal, will have an opportunity to appeal the sanction, according to local reports.
• The Officer of the Commissioner of Baseball has confirmed that Miami Marlins Minor League catcher Roy Morales has received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for stanozolol, in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
• Indian javelin thrower Davinder Singh Kang tested positive for cannabis at the Indian Grand Prix athletics championships on 15 May, reports the Tribune India.
West Ham United has become the third Premier League club to be charged with failing...
The newly formed World Baseball Softball Confederation Europe (WBSC Europe) has today announced the signing...
South American football confederation CONMEBOL is threatening to move its headquarters out of Paraguay after...