Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The national anti-doping authority of The Netherlands (Doping Autoriteit) has warned athletes against drinking herbal tea processed in Latin American countries, as it could lead to a positive test for cocaine. ‘In Latin American countries such as Argentina, Peru and Bolivia, herbal tea is made where cocoa leaves are processed’, reads a statement. ‘One cup of cocoa tea can contain 4mg of cocaine – enough for a positive doping test’. Cocaine is prohibited in competition under the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) Prohibited List.
• Shakhtar Donetsk player Darijo Srna has reportedly returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) from a doping test conducted after the Ukrainian club’s 19 September 2-1 victory over Napoli in the UEFA Champions League, according to local news sources. The club’s coach, Paulo Fonseca, told local media that the former Croatia captain did not travel with the team to take part in the club’s 0-0 draw with FC Chornomorets Odesa on 17 September because he chose not to play him. ‘We never comment on allegations of such cases, until a final disciplinary decision’, UEFA told Football24.
• The International Federation of Football Associations (FIFA) and Chelsea FC have confirmed to Inside World Football that an investigation is taking place into the Premier League club’s signing of foreign U18 players. It is understood to be the third time in eight years the the club has been investigated for breaching regulations on the signing of youth players.
• Italy’s national anti-doping agency (NADO Italia) has sanctioned seven non-affiliated people with two year bans. Bans were issued to Devi Spalanzino, Enrico Barroero, Grazia Orizio, Giuseppe Di Dedda, Emanuele Mucelli, Sandro Serra, and Pasquale Anastasia. None of those sanctioned are registered with Italian sporting federations.
• The decisions focused on enhanced Code compliance monitoring and increased budget; and also, on...
The Foundation Board of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has decided that the Russian Anti-Doping...
An extraordinary tale has emerged of how an angry squabble in the restrooms at FIFA...