Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Italian distance runner Roberto Barbi, who was previously successful in appealing a life ban issued in 2008 for a second doping offence, has had his ban increased for competing whilst disqualified. In his appeal, Barbi was successful in reducing his ban until 2024. Italy’s national anti doping organisation (NADO Italia) confirmed it had rejected an appeal from Barbi against the increase of his sanction until 2032 for a violation of Article 4.12.3 of the Norme Sportive Antidoping (NSA), which provides for an increased sanction for competing whilst banned.
• The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has confirmed that a player has reported an adverse analytical finding (AAF), following reports in the local media. ‘A player has reportedly tested positive for a prohibited substance’, read a statement posted on Twitter (below). ‘But under ICC rules PCB cannot name the player or chargesheet him until the chemical report is CONFIRMED by the Anti-Dope Agency of the government. We should have an answer in a day or two.’
A player has reportedly tested positive for a prohibited substance. But under ICC rules PCB cannot name the player or chargesheet him until the chemical report is CONFIRMED by the Anti-Dope Agency of the government. We should have an answer in a day or two.
— PCB Media (@TheRealPCBMedia) June 20, 2018
• Croatian fans are boycotting the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia in protest against alleged corruption at the Croatian football federation (HNS), reports Balkan Insight. Earlier this month, the former Chief Executive of Dynamo Zagreb, Zdravko Mamic, was sentenced to six and a half years in prison on corruption charges, after being charged with embezzlement and tax fraud in 2015, as well as with keeping a chunk of Luka Modric’s €21 million transfer fee relating to his 2008 move from Dynamo to Tottenham Hotspur. It is understood that Mamic continues to deny the charges. In a statement, Dynamo Zagreb expressed ‘shock and outrage’ at the sentence, which it vowed to fight, arguing Mamic has not been subjected to a fair trial.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...