Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Police have detained over 20 people in an operation designed to dismantle a match-fixing ring involving football clubs and players in Spain’s lower divisions. ‘La Liga wants to firstly highlight the extraordinary work carried out by the national police in the dismantling of a complex, organised group dedicated to a targeted criminal activity to obtain economic benefits through the predetermination of results at football matches in the country’, read a statement from La Liga. ‘This police operation comes to show that integrity protection systems created by the League itself, in order to protect the integrity of all Spanish football competitions, have been instrumental in detecting and reporting allegations of manipulated matches. The complaints filed are the fruit of work carried out by La Liga in the area of integrity, the work of its analysts and researchers, which has been the basis for the operation carried out by the Policía Nacional’.
• The Central Service of Races and Games of the French National Police have arrested a man for twice attempting to bribe a tennis player following a six month investigation by the Parquet National Financier, France’s financial regulator, reports France TV. It is understood that the player reported the accused after such offers were made via Facebook. Investigators found that the accused had placed unconnected bets with internet gambling sites based overseas.
• The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has sanctioned Slovenian ice hockey player Ziga Jeglic with an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV), after he returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for fenoterol at the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics. Jeglic argued that he took the anti-asthma drug on medical advice and forgot to apply for a therapeutic use exemption (TUE), reports Associated Press.
• French U17 and U19 footballers have signed an Integrity Charter during an information day organised by the French football league (LFP), its professional footballers association (UNFP) and its youth player organisation (JDF). By signing the Charter, players stipulate that they will never bet on football; or accept gifts, money or promises; and report any suspicious approaches.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...