Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Two oxen farmers have been arrested for doping their animals in the traditional sport of stone dragging (idi-probak). In a statement, the Basque police (Ertzaintza) said that ‘monitoring devices’ led to an investigation into possible doping at a 26 September idi-probak event in Laukiz, where an ox died in suspicious circumstances last year. ‘Material commonly used in doping practices’ was located and the arrests were made. ‘Veterinarians proceeded to take a number of samples of blood and urine from four pairs of oxen who had registered to participate in the sporting event. The results shall be communicated in time to the judicial authority’.
• Japan’s Anti-Doping Agency (JADA) has issued a warning regarding the supplement AnaVite, which it said is the likely cause of a positive test at the National Sports Festival. In April this year, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) issued a warning about the same supplement, after laboratory tests showed that it contained anabolic agents.
• Four football referees in Malawi have been banned for life for match-fixing, reports the Associated Press. It is understood that the four attempted to fix a national cup match between Nchalo United and Chitpa United, however the game ended in a 1-1 draw. It is reported that the referees had been paid US$20. When Nchalo United – the team that is understood to have paid the bribe – demanded its money back, the referees could only return US$15. Nchalo United went to the authorities, and a case is understood to be pending against the team.
• Jack Warner’s challenge to procedures to extradite him to the US to face trial on charges of corruption in the FIFAGate case was dismissed by Trinidad’s High Court last week, reports Newsday. Warner will have the opportunity to appeal the ruling.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...