Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Tennis made up almost half (47%) of the suspicious betting alerts reported to the Sports Betting Integrity Unit (SBIU) of Great Britain’s Gambling Commission between July and September. Football made up 21% and snooker 6%, with the remaining 26% made up by other sports, the SBIU reported in its quarterly newsletter.
• The Serbian Association of American Football (SAAF) has sanctioned Novicu Slijepčevića with a six month ban following an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for hydrochlorothiazide, reports the Anti-Doping Agency of the Republic of Serbia (AARS). AARS said that Slijepčevića was prescribed hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure (hypertension). His ban will run from 1 September.
• The Italian volleyball federation (FIPV) has announced that Miriam Sylla is free to return to the court, after her provisional suspension after testing positive for clenbuterol was cancelled. ‘A series of extensive tests has shown that the positive was caused by food contamination due to substances contained in food consumed in China during the finals of the World Grand Prix’, read a statement. The international volleyball federation (FIVB) earlier cancelled a positive reported by Serbian Ana Antonijevic at the same tournament. It is understood that the players were housed at the same hotel.
• Leonardo Gryner has been released from prison after a judge revoked his temporary arrest, reports InsideTheGames. The former Director of the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB) was detained earlier this month following charges against him and former COB President Carlos Nuzman.
• Austria’s National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has issued a warning about careless use of painkillers in sport. ‘Pain alerts the body’, reads a statement. ‘It documents a mismatch between exposure to training and competition and regeneration of the body. Therefore, chronic pain medication use can result in serious injury and can often lead to early termination of a career.’ In 2015, two Australian rugby league players almost died after overdosing on opioid-based painkiller tramadol.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...