Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Sports Betting Intelligence Unit (SBIU) of Great Britain’s Gambling Commission logged over 2,200 Intelligence Reports during the 2017/18 financial year, the Commission’s Annual Report reveals. These came from 318 calls to its confidential telephone line, as well as interaction with police and overseas regulators. The Reports related to 20 sports across 67 countries outside of Great Britain, and related to issues such as suspicious betting activity, sports rules breaches, misuse of inside information, Gambling Act beaches, and criminal offences such as fraud or bribery. The Commission said that volumes had increased 50% year on year, and the majority of Reports relate to football and tennis.
• The Movement for a Credible Cycling (MPCC) announced that voluntary tests on 11 teams before the start of the ninth stage of the Tour de France recorded that the cortisol levels of the 33 riders involved were all above the minimum level. It is understood that low levels of cortisol, a steroidal hormone, can seriously damage the health of riders and can also indicate external administration of glucocorticoids. However, ‘safe’ upper and lower limits vary from person to person, and also depend on the apparatus used to perform the test. The MPCC’s rules are designed to protect the health of riders, and if ‘abnormal’ low cortisol levels are recorded, riders are required to rest for eight days.
• Fifteen football players, a referee and a linesman have been charged with ‘violating sports laws, gambling laws and criminal codes’ due to their involvement in match-fixing in Thailand, reports AFP. Thailand’s Attorney General’s office announced that the case would be heard in September, the news agency reported.
• Approximately 1,000 samples will be taken from over 4,000 athletes at the Minsk 2019 European Games, Georgy Katulin, the Director of the Organising Committee told a press conference, reports the Belarusian Telegraph Agency (BTA).
• Former Russian Deputy Minister for Sport, Yuri Nagornykh (Юрием Нагорных), spoke to students at...
The Anti-Doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) that was created for...
Three Thai chair umpires, Anucha Tongplew, Apisit Promchai and Chitchai Srililai, have been banned for...