Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• A sample from Indian discus thrower Arjun has returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) following analysis at the Cologne laboratory, after the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) asked for a negative sample from the New Delhi laboratory to be re-analysed, reports The Indian Express. The IAAF requested the transfer of the sample on 22 June 2016, reports the newspaper. It is understood that after isotope radio mass spectrometry (IRMS) testing was conducted on the sample, which determined an AAF for exogenous androsterone and testosterone.
• League of Ireland Premier Division club Bray Wanderers has confirmed that Irish police (Gardaí) have ‘launched an investigation into a fixture involving the club’. Earlier this week, the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland (PFAI) announced that it would appeal match-fixing sanctions issued to two Athlone Town players by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI).
• The UK Data Protection Bill, which will transpose the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation into UK law, will also allow anti-doping organisations to process athlete data without their consent. It is understood that the Bill, which will come into force in May, will continue to apply post Brexit.
• The Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) confirmed that it has been notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) that Jesse Taylor has returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) from a 22 August sample. Taylor has therefore been removed from the fight card concerning his upcoming bout against Belal Muhammad on 18 November in Sydney.
• Canadian athlete Kristen Worley and Andy Brown, Editor of The Sports Integrity Initiative, will be examining the details of Worley’s case against sport’s governing bodies at the Play The Game conference in Eindhoven, 26-30 November 2017. To view the programme, please click here. For details on Worley’s case, please click here.
Former cyclist Lance Armstrong has paid the US government US$5 million to settle a lawsuit...
Constant Omari Selemani, a member of the FIFA Council, senior figure in African football and...