Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) has lodged a complaint with the Advertising Standards Bureau over a SportsBet advert (video below) featuring Ben Johnson. ‘This advert makes light of the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport and sends the completely wrong message that the use of drugs in sport is normal’, read an ASADA statement. ‘This advertising campaign belittles the achievements of clean athletes and denigrates those who work to protect clean sport across the world’.
• The South African Football Association (SAFA) has signed a partnership with Spain’s La Liga to develop football in South Africa. ‘The agreement will allow LaLiga and SAFA to promote social integration, culture and social development in South Africa through sporting development and activities’, read a 12 May statement. ‘LaLiga will help SAFA develop the beautiful game all over the country, particularly in underprivileged and rural areas, by having LaLiga experts train local coaches. Another target defined in the agreement is developing women, schools and youth football throughout the country.’ La Liga opened offices in South Africa on 25 November 2015, with the aim of identifying and fostering African talent.
• The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has sanctioned a 47-year-old cyclist with a four-year ban for refusing to provide a sample. Scot Harvey refused to provide a sample to a doping control officer during an out-of-competition (OOC) test on 20 March.
• Imani Oliver, a US track and field athlete, has been sanctioned with a one-year ban after testing positive for ostarine. The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) agreed that the positive test was the result of a dietary supplement which listed ostarine as an ingredient. A number of anti-doping organisations (ADOs) have issued warnings regarding supplements, after triathletes alleged that their adverse analytical findings (AAFs) for ostarine could be due to salt tablets or drinks.
Dr. Hidde Haisma of the University of Groningen has developed a gene doping test based...
• The International Olympic Committee (IOC), other international sports organisations, more than 100 Ministers and...
• The Athlete Committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has reiterated that it will...