Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• An Independent Tribunal appointed by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) has found that Ukrainian doctor Elena Dorofeyeva has committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation by administering a prohibited stimulant to professional tennis player Kateryna Kozlova. In June 2015 Kozlova had a ban reduced to six-months after testing positive for 1,3-dimethylbutylamine – the substance administered by Dorofeyeva – after she successfully argued that that the substance had entered her system through a supplement. Dorofeyeva has been banned from working in the sport for four years.
• The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has received a letter from FIFA notifying the national governing body that they are to investigate allegations of match-fixing in three Ghana Premier League matches last season, reports local news site pulse.com.gh. During a sports seminar held last Friday, the President of the GFA Kwesi Nyantakyi reportedly presented evidence of match-fixing in three games involving the Premier League side Bechem United. As well as the letter from FIFA, Nyantakyi said that a betting company in South Africa had also written to the GFA to notify them that they were launching their own undercover investigation.
• Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter has claimed in an interview that he had witnessed rigged draws for European football competitions. Challenged by Argentine newspaper La Nacion on whether he had had the power to influence draws in world football, Blatter responded that he never did, but that he had witnessed the use of hot and cold (fridge-frozen) balls in European draws to rig the outcome. Blatter again maintained that he had not been involved in any corruption while President of FIFA.
• Nearly 600 British elite athletes have written a private letter to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) urging them to do more to ensure that there is a ‘level playing field’ at this year’s Rio Olympics, reports The Guardian. The letter, written by London 2012 rowing gold medalist Anna Watkins, who chairs the athlete advisory group of the British Athletes Commission, was circulated among and signed by past and present British Olympians and Paralympians.
• Last month, the Province of Quebec granted decisions taken by the World Anti-Doping Agency...
Following the publication in May 2018 of FIFA Circular no. 1628, which informed all FIFA...