Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The CrossFit Games has announced that four athletes who competed at the 2017 Meridian Regional have returned adverse analytical findings (AAFs) for prohibited substances. None of the athletes concerned placed high enough to earn a trip to the 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games, but all have had their 2017 results disqualified and will be prohibited from taking part in CrossFit events until 2021. The athletes and substances involved are as follows: Stella Christoforou (clenbuterol); Andrea Barbotti (clomiphene); Paweł Leśnikowski (clenbuterol, modafinil and elevated testosterone); Gianluca Occhino (tamoxifen); and Ľudovít Czókoly (clomiphene).
• Priyanka Panwar, a member of the 4x400m team that took gold at the 2014 Incheon Asian Games, has been sanctioned with an eight year ban after returning an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for mephentermine, reports The Indian Express. Mephentermine is a cardiac stimulant formerly used in Wyamine nasal decongestants, and is also used in treatment for low blood pressure. Panwar previously served a one year ban after returning an AAF for methandienone ahead of the London 2012 Olympics.
• NADO Italia has confirmed that a 15 month ban has been issued to 44 year old distance runner Paolo Zilvetti. It also confirmed that a one year ban has been issued to young cyclist Mattia Luboz, who is understood to have used a cream containing clostebol to heal wounds, after falling off his mountain bike. NADO Italia also confirmed that Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal (TNA) has dismissed an appeal from cyclist Francesco Pizzo, and therefore his four year ban is confirmed. Pizzo returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for recombinant erythropoietin (EPO) on 9 October 2016, at the Gran Fondo Campagnolo.
• The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has published a list of its hearing dates over the next three months. Key cases include: Nesta Carter’s appeal against an International Olympic Committee (IOC) decision that he had committed an anti-doping rule violation (ADRV) at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games – meaning disqualification of the 4x400m Jamaican team that took gold – will be heard on 15 November. Chung Mong-Joon’s appeal against a five year ban imposed by FIFA for offences relating to its investigation into corruption during the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will be heard on 14 November. Former FIFA Secretary General Jérôme Valcke’s appeal against a ten year ban imposed by FIFA will be heard on 11 October.
• The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has excluded the Congolese Boxing Federation (Fecoboxe) from any AIBA competitions for two years, following an ‘incident’ on 25 June at the AFBC African Boxing Championships. A statement added that Kelani Bayor, President of the African Boxing Federation (AFBC), AIBA Vice President and member of the Executive Committee, has been banned from all boxing activities, duties and responsibilities for a period of three years.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...