Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Italy’s national anti-doping agency (NADO Italia) has sanctioned three athletes for anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs), and has provisionally suspended two, after they returned adverse analytical findings (AAFs). Triathlete Beatrice Crespan has been sanctioned with a ten month ban, expiring 26 March 2019. Paralympic athlete Massimo D’Attolico has been sanctioned with a four month ban, which as it was backdated to 10 June, expired on 9 October. Another Paralympic athlete, Giuseppe Checchi, has been sanctioned with a two month ban, which has also expired. Middle distance runner, Hussein Zmnako Wali Hussein, has been provisionally suspended after returning an AAF for clostebol. Another triathlete, Andrea De Stalis, has been provisionally suspended after returning an AAF for betamethasone at the IRONDELTA Olympic 2018 event on 16 September.
• France’s Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) has decided to donate its profits from winning the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup men’s tournament to the 12 Ligue 1 clubs of the national women’s league. France is to host the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup. “One year before the World Cup in France, this gesture of solidarity marks the commitment of the men’s professional game towards women’s football”, said Nathalie Boy de la Tour, President of the LFP, in a statement.
• Senator Richard Blumenthal has suggested that if the US Olympic Committee (USOC) fails to tackle the issue of sexual abuse in Olympic sport, Congress might reconsider its tax-exempt and anti-trust exemption, reports Associated Press. More details on Blumenthal’s proposals are available in the address below.
LIVE: More than 10 brave athletes share their stories of sexual abuse. I stand with them as we continue our call for the systemic reform of the US Olympic Committee & all amateur sports so athletes can train & compete in safe environments without fear. https://t.co/7mZ1zA6kk4
— Richard Blumenthal (@SenBlumenthal) October 3, 2018
• The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has provisionally suspended Ukrainian race walker Alina Tsviliy (Halchenko), after she was notified of an adverse analytical finding (AAF) involving trimetazidine on 4 September. Tsviliy won silver in the 50km race walk at the Berlin 2018 European Athletics Championships.
• Athletics Kenya has confirmed that winner of the 2017 Athens Marathon, Samuel Kalalei, has been sanctioned with a four year ban from 4 June 2018 until 4 June 2022. It is understood that Kalalei reported an adverse analytical finding (AAF) after running a personal best in the Rotterdam Marathon in April, where he finished seventh.
Dr. Hidde Haisma of the University of Groningen has developed a gene doping test based...
• The International Olympic Committee (IOC), other international sports organisations, more than 100 Ministers and...
• The Athlete Committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has reiterated that it will...