Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban, after he returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for ephedrine, the Anti-Doping Agency of Serbia (ADAS) announced. Polugića tested positive at the Serbian boxing championships on 24 February, and his ban will run from 28 March.
• Malaysian police have disrupted a gambling syndicate that had generated over RM10 million (€2.1 million) through illegal sports betting from over 6,800 customers, reports the New Straits Times. A police spokesperson told the newspaper that the syndicate has been accepting bets on the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.
• The Spanish national police, the Mossos d’Esquadra (Catalonian police), Europol, Interpol and the Georgian Police have arrested 129 people following an investigation into a criminal group that was involved in drug trafficking, illicit tobacco smuggling, home burglaries, unlawful possession of firearms, vehicle theft and sports corruption. Europol announced that a ‘large number’ of those arrested had contacts with tennis, beach volleyball, basketball and ice hockey players, and were involved in bribing 20 players to fix the outcome of matches.
• Extremadura UD has confirmed that it informed La Liga and the Spanish football association (RFEF) on 19 June, after receiving an approach to fix its match against FC Cartagena. Extremadura UD was promoted to Spain’s Segunda División at the end of the 2017/18 season.
• The Sporting Director of SC Shirak has been charged with bribery as part of an ongoing investigation into corruption, reports the ArmenPress news agency. It is understood that Ararat Harutyunyan is accused of arranging to pay an FC Banants defender to deliver a poor performance. Although both clubs play in the Armenian Premier League which is administered by the Football Federation of Armenia, it is not considered a professional league. Discussions are underway about whether that should change.
• Former Russian Deputy Minister for Sport, Yuri Nagornykh (Юрием Нагорных), spoke to students at...
The Anti-Doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) that was created for...
Three Thai chair umpires, Anucha Tongplew, Apisit Promchai and Chitchai Srililai, have been banned for...