Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Italy’s National Anti-Doping Agency (NADO Italia) has announced that its National Anti-doping Tribunal (TNA) has sanctioned five more bodybuilders with four-year bans. Sanctions applicable to Roberto Pepe, Pietro Federici, Giuseppe Grenzi, Andrea Toscano, and Elena Gennaro will expire on 10 July 2021.
• Three senior Portuguese politicians have resigned after being charged by the Public Prosecutor’s Office with violating the country’s legislation by accepting all-expenses paid trips to watch Euro 2016 games, paid by sponsor Galp, a Portuguese energy company. A statement named the defendants as the secretaries of state for International Affairs, Tax Affairs and Industry.
• ‘Sports Venues’ has overtaken ‘Religious Institutions’ in terms of the number of complaints of sexual abuse being investigated by Operation Hydrant, quarterly statistics published by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) revealed. The allegations include 26 ‘persons of prominence’ from the world of sport, which the NPCC defines as ‘somebody who offended in an institution’. Operation Hydrant was set up in June 2014 to investigate incidents of ‘non-recent’ sexual abuse after a number of victims came forward alleging abuse by entertainer Jimmy Saville, following his 2011 death.
• The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has decided to appoint the host of both the 2024 and 2028 Olympics during the 131st IOC Session in Lima, September 13-17. At the 130th IOC Session in Lausanne, the IOC yesterday decided that Paris and Los Angeles will host the two Olympics, since they are the only candidates applying to host the 2024 Olympics. The IOC decided that it would appoint ‘one city for the Olympic Games 2024 and the other city for the Olympic Games 2028’.
Former cyclist Lance Armstrong has paid the US government US$5 million to settle a lawsuit...
• France’s online gambling regulator, ARJEL, has prohibited licensed operators in France from offering odds on Albanian...
Constant Omari Selemani, a member of the FIFA Council, senior figure in African football and...